1½ cups neutral oil (I use corn oil)
2 large shallots
8 cloves garlic
½ cup Chinese red chili flakes
2 tbsp Spicewalla Gochugaru
¾ tbsp salt
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Thinly slice garlic and shallots. They should be as even as possible, you can use a knife or a mandoline if you're very careful.
- Pour oil into a sauce pan then add your garlic and shallots. Turn up the heat to med-high and continue to stir until they start to brown then set aside. You will see bubbling and this might take anywhere from 10-20 minutes depending on temperature.
- While the garlic and shallots are cooking, mix Gochugaru Chilli Flakes, sugar, and salt into a heat proof container. We use stainless steel because the high temperatures might cause cracks in glass.
- Once the shallots and garlic are done cooking, heat up the same oil up to 350*F and then pour it over the Gochugaru mixture.
- Add soy sauce, toasted sesame seeds, and the crispy shallots and garlic. Mix and enjoy!