For the crostini:
2 sticks butter
Baguette cut ½ in thick
For the aioli:
1 whole egg
1 egg yolk
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 Tbsp lemon juice
⅔ cup high quality olive oil
2.5 Tbsp chopped fresh dill
For the crab salad:
8 oz. fresh blue crab meat
1 Tbs whole grain mustard
1 Tbs capers plus 1 tsp brine
Kosher salt to taste
Juice of ½ lemon
3 Tbsp fresh dill
½ tsp Spicewalla Urfa Chilli Flakes, plus more for topping
Spicewalla Cyprus Flake Salt for topping
Make the crostini:
- Preheat oven to 425°F
- Melt the butter in a pot, then working with two slices at a time, dip the bread in the melted butter, remove and let excess butter drip back into the pan. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining baguette slices.
- Bake at 425°F for about 10 mins or until golden brown
For the aioli:
- Add the whole egg, yolk, garlic cloves, lemon juice, and a pinch of kosher salt to the blender. Pour ⅔ cup of olive oil into a measuring cup.
- Blend all the ingredients except olive oil together in a blender on low until combined, about 10 seconds.
- Keeping the blender on low, begin VERY slowly adding the olive oil, this could take up to 5 minutes. If you think you’re going too slow, go even slower! Your aioli should thicken to the consistency of mayonnaise, and be light yellow in color. **
- Gently fold in the fresh dill, pour into an airtight container, then place in the fridge to cool until ready to serve. It will thicken up a bit more when chilled.
**Pro tip: Check the thickness of your aioli after adding about ½ cup of oil. If it seems too thin, keep slowly adding more oil while the blender is running. It may seem counterintuitive, but in this case the oil actually acts as a thickening agent. You may need more than ⅔ cups, so no worries! This is also a good time to taste for salt or lemon juice adjustment.
Make the crab salad:
- Stir together crab, mustard, capers, caper brine, salt, lemon juice, dill, and Urfa Chilli Flakes. It will be a loose mixture.
- Add more salt and lemon to taste
To assemble the crab toast:
- Spread approximately ½ Tbsp of aioli onto your toasted crostini, followed by a heaping scoop of crab salad. Top with Urfa Chilli Flakes, Cyprus Flake Salt, and fresh lemon zest for an extra citrusy note and color!
You can either assemble these beforehand or serve the crab salad and aioli alongside the crostini, for a build-your-own app!
Watch us make it on Tiny Kitchen Cooking below!