2-3 Tbsp avocado oil
4 medium russet potatoes, quartered lengthwise and sliced 1/4 inch thin
8 oz. breakfast sausage*
2 Tbsp Spicewalla Ancho Chilli Powder
flour tortillas, optional but highly recommended
refried beans, optional
*note: you can use store-bought chorizo but my dad prefers to use breakfast sausage so he can season it to his liking.
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat and sprinkle in a pinch of salt.
- Add the sliced potatoes and spread into an even layer in the pan.
- Using your hands or a knife, cut the breakfast sausage into 1 inch pieces and place directly on top of the potatoes in the pan, spreading out around the pan.
- Sprinkle the Ancho Chilli Powder and another big pinch of salt over the sausage and potatoes, cover the pan with a lid and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Using a spatula, gently flip the potatoes and break up the sausage, cover and cook another 5 minutes. Repeat until the potatoes are slightly tender, about another 10 minutes total. Turn down the heat if the potatoes are sticking.
- Once the potatoes are tender, take the lid off of the pan and continue to cook and flip the mixture every 5 minutes until you notice that the potatoes are starting to get crispy on the outside.
- Taste and adjust seasoning to your liking.
- Serve immediately with tortillas and refried beans. Add a fried egg or bacon if you’re feeling extra.