For the crust:
1 tsp kosher salt
⅓ cup water, very cold
1.5 cups all purpose flour
1 stick plus 2 Tbs unsalted butter, cut into ½ inch cubes, very cold
For the filling:
4 Tbs unsalted butter, melted
⅔ cup light corn syrup
⅓ cup molasses
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp Spicewalla Chinese Five Spice
2 ½ cups (about 10 oz) pecan pieces
Make the crust:
- Mix water and salt in a small bowl and place in the freezer.
- Place flour in a large mixing bowl, add cold butter and break up the butter into flour, pinching with your fingers until butter chunks are pea-sized.
- Add water and mix until the dough just comes together.
- Separate dough in half and flatten into two discs, cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375*F
- Roll out one dough on a floured surface into a rectangle until the dough is about ¼ inch thick and is about 1 inch bigger than a 9 x 13 baking sheet.
- Carefully place in the baking sheet, trim excess dough to about 1 inch overhang.
- Fold overhang under itself around the entire circumference of the dough, pinch together and crimp with fingers.
- Place a piece of parchment paper inside the pie pan and fill with pie weights or dried beans.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Remove parchment and pie weights/beans and bake another 10 mins.
- Set aside on a cooling rack while you make the filling.
Make the filling:
- In a mixing bowl whisk together the cooled melted butter, molasses, corn syrup, and dark brown sugar. Whisk in the eggs one at a time.
- Stir in the vanilla, salt, Chinese Five Spice, and pecans.
Assemble and bake:
- Preheat the oven to 350*F
- Carefully pour the filling into the par backed crust
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the center of the pie bars is set
- Cool completely before serving and enjoy!
*Pie crust can be made several days ahead and stored tightly wrapped in the fridge for up to a week or the freezer for up to a month.
**Pie can be baked up to 2 days ahead of time and kept out at room temperature or refrigerated.