Chef Meherwan Irani takes on Salli Boti (a Persian classic) using an inspired version of a recipe found in the legendary Time and Talents Club Recipe Book.
The original recipe calls for the spices to be added to the onions as they cook, but Irani opts to use the spices as 30 minute marinade for the lamb. Using turmeric, kashmir chili powder, and ginger-garlic paste. The Lamb is then simmered with onions, ginger, garlic, green chilies, cilantro, and some fresh tomatoes.
Salli Boti - Spicy Lamb Stew with Crispy Matchstick Potatoes
1 lb lamb stew meat
1/4 tsp Spicewalla Turmeric Powder
Salt, to taste
1/4 tsp Spicewalla Kashmiri Chilli Powder
1 Tbs garlic-ginger paste
¼ cup safflower oil
3 cups red onion, chopped
2 small red chillis, chopped
1 bunch cilantro stems, chopped
1 cup tomatoes, diced
1 bunch cilantro leaves, for garnish
Matchstick potatoes, for garnish
1. Place the lamb in a bowl or a resealable plastic bag, add turmeric, a healthy pinch of salt, kashmiri chilli powder and garlic ginger paste, make sure pieces are evenly coated. Marinate at least an hour before cooking or in the fridge overnight.
2. In a saute pan, heat the oil over medium, add the onions and a pinch of salt to sweat them, cook until they are soft, about 30 min.
3. Add the lamb to the pan. Stir to incorporate with the onions, on high heat, letting the lamb fry. Turn heat down to medium after 3-4 minutes, or once lamb has a slightly browned on the outside.
4. Add the red chilli pepper and cilantro stems. Stir well, then add in tomatoes, turning heat back to high. Add salt to taste. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes.
5. Cover the pan with a lid, turn the heat down to low, and continue cooking about 20 minutes until the sauce has thickened and reduced.
6. Serve immediately with fresh cilantro leaves on top and crispy potato matchsticks. Enjoy!