280g (2 1/3 cups) Southern Ground whole-wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 tsp fine sea salt
1 tsp Spicewalla ground cardamom, plus more for dusting
144g (3/4 cup) granulated sugar
100g (1/2 cup) canola oil or other neutral oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and cardamom.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the granulated sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Stir the wet ingredients into the flour mixture until just combined.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Scoop 1-inch balls of the dough onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing them at least 2 inches apart. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and no more than 2 days.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bake the tea cakes for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and let the tea cakes cool on the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack set over a sheet of parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 parts confectioners’ sugar with 1 part cardamom. Using a fine-mesh sieve, dust the mixture over the tea cakes before serving. Once fully cooled, store in an airtight container at room temperature.