1 package of frozen puff pastry, 2 sheets total
For the filling:
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
3 large apples, peeled, cored & small diced
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp Spicewalla Apple Pie Spice
pinch of Kosher salt
1/3 cup Big Spoon Roasters Apple Pie Spice Almond & Pecan Butter
For the egg wash:
1 large egg
1 Tbs water
for the spiced sugar:
3 Tbs granulated sugar
2 Tbs Spicewalla Apple Pie Spice
for the glaze:
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbs milk
Shop the Recipe
- Preheat oven to 400*F
- Thaw the puff pastry according to the package directions
- In a sauce pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the diced apples, brown sugar, and cornstarch. Stir together and bring to a simmer, cook until the apples are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the Apple Pie Spice and a pinch of salt, cook for another 2 minutes then remove from the heat and let the filling cool
- On a floured surface use a rolling pin to roll out the puff pastry into about a 10" x 10" square. Cut the square vertically into thirds then cut horizontally into thirds so you have 9 even squares.
- Make the egg wash: whisk together the egg and water until fully combined.
- Place 1 tsp of the Big Spoon Roasters Apple Pie Spice Almond & Pecan Butter in the center of a puff pastry square, top with 1 Tbs of the cooled apple pie filling.
- Using your finger, brush the edges of the square with the egg wash then fold into a triangle. Crimp the edges with a fork and use a knife to cut a small slit into the top of the turnover.
- Repeat with remaining squares. Roll out the second puff pastry sheet and cut into another 9 equal squares. Repeat steps with 7 & 8 with the second round of pastry squares.
- Place the turnovers on a parchment lined cookie sheet and place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Make the spiced sugar: combine the sugar and Apple Pie spice together
- Remove the turnovers from the freezer, brush them with egg wash and sprinkle with a generous amount spiced sugar
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until puffed and golden brown.
- Make the glaze: stir together the powdered sugar and milk. Drizzle over the warm turnovers and serve immediately or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Shop the Recipe