Recipe & Photos by: Steven Martinez
Smells like Summer! One of Steven's (aka @cookingwithyourdad) favorite ways to kick of the season is by smoking up a dozen or so chicken drummers. Mostly because they're super easy to make and extremely hard to overcook. These crispy bird drums feature the bittersweet, spicy, garlicky, fruity, and herbaceous flavours of our Piri Piri blend. Bonus, they aren't too spicy for the kiddos and pair super well with the ranch from his Blackened White Cheeseburger!
Applewood Smoked Piri Piri Chicken Drummers
Time: 3 1/2 hours
3 Tbsp Spicewalla Piri Piri
2 Tbsp canola oil
Apple cider vinegar (preferably in a spray bottle for spritzing but you can also baste)
- Prep a chimney of coal and a multi-poked foil pouch of applewood chips for the grill. Coals on one side, pouch on top. The drumsticks will go on the opposite side. Photo above for reference.
- Toss drumsticks with Piri Piri rub, 3 heavy pinches of kosher salt, and canola oil.
- Hang drumsticks on a roasting rack.
- Put rack into a kettle grill. Cover with the lid with the vents half open on the side with the chicken.
- For the next 3 hours you’ll spritz (or baste) the drums every 20 mins with apple cider vinegar. Let the chicken rest for 10-15 mins then enjoy!
Note: As the coals die you’ll have to keep feeding new ones in. Swap the wood chip pouch out every hour.
For more recipes from Dad (aka Steven), follow: @cookingwithyourdad on IG.