For the dough:
4 oz cream cheese, softened slightly at room temperature
1 stick unsalted butter, softened slightly at room temperature
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ tsp kosher salt
1 egg, for egg wash
Raw sugar to finish
For the filling:
1 cup apple butter
1 Tbsp Spicewalla Apple Pie Spice
3 Tbsp walnut pieces
½ cup dried apples, finely chopped or grated fresh apple
Make the dough:
- In a food processor, add the cream cheese, butter, flour and salt. Pulse until the ingredients are just beginning to come together, don’t overmix!
- Turn out the dough onto a clean surface and use your hands to bring the dough together to form a ball. Divide the dough in half and flatten into discs and wrap tightly in plastic. Chill for at least 1 hour.
Make the filling:
In a small mixing bowl, stir together the apple butter, Spicewalla Apple Pie Spice, walnuts and dried or grated apples. Set aside.
- Remove one of the doughs from the refrigerator and the discs out on a lightly floured surface into a 10” circle of about ¼” thickness.
- Spread half of the filling onto the dough, leaving a 1 inch gap around the edges. Cut into 8 wedges, similarly to how you would cut a pizza.
- Working from the widest part of each wedge, roll the dough up to the tip and gently press down to seal. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Repeat steps 3-6 with the other dough disc.
- Chill the cookies for 30 minutes before baking.
To bake the rugelach:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Remove the cookies from the refrigerator. Beat the egg with a little bit of water to create an egg wash. Brush the egg wash evenly over each rugelach and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until the dough is beginning to take on some color. Cool completely and serve with extra apple butter. Enjoy!