3 pounds bone in beef short ribs
Freshly cracked Black Pepper
Spicewalla Ancho Chilli Powder
2 Tbs avocado oil
2 carrots, coarsely chopped
2 yellow onions, coarsely chopped
3 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
3 Tbs tomato paste
1 750 ml bottle dry red wine
4-5 sprigs fresh thyme
4-5 sprigs rosemary
8 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 head of garlic, cut in half crosswise
1 quart of beef stock
Polenta, mashed potatoes, stone ground grits for serving
- Preheat the oven to 325 *F. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle Spicewalla Ancho Chilli Powder over the short ribs and rub to coat evenly.
- In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium high. Add the short ribs and brown them on all sides, about 8 minutes, work in batches if you need to. Once browned, remove the short ribs and transfer to a plate.
- Add the carrots, onion and celery and a pinch of kosher salt to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally until they start to take on some color, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and continue to cook for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently until the tomato paste has darkened in color.
- Pour in the wine and nestle the short ribs into the pot. Simmer for about 30 minutes to reduce.
- Add the beef stock, garlic and herbs. Bring to a simmer and then place the lid on the dutch oven and transfer to the preheated oven.
- Cook for about 2 hours or until the short ribs are very tender.
- Remove the short ribs and transfer them to a plate, strain the sauce into a smaller pot and simmer for 10 minutes to reduce.
- Serve the short ribs on top of polenta, mashed potatoes or stone ground grits. Top with microgreens and enjoy!