Charred Carrots with Maple Cardamom Glaze
1 lb rainbow carrots, peeled and cut in half lengthwise
3 Tbsp canola or safflower oil
Spicewalla Black Pepper, table grind
2 Tbsp butter
Cilantro, for garnish
FOR THE GLAZE
6 Spicewalla Black Cardamom pods
1/4 cup maple syrup
3 Tbsp water
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Toss carrots on a baking sheet with oil, salt, and pepper. Place cut side up on the baking sheet, making sure not to overcrowd them.
Make maple cardamom glaze:
3. Place pods in a small saucepan over medium heat and toast the pods for 5 minutes, occasionally shaking the pan.
4. Add maple syrup and water. Bring to a simmer and turn down to medium-low heat.
5. Simmer for about 5 minutes until thick and fragrant. Set aside.
6. Brush glaze over carrots and bake for 10 mins, just until they are beginning to take on some color. Remove from the oven.
7. Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until it begins to foam. Add carrots cut side down and cook, undisturbed, for 3 minutes until charred. Brush again with glaze.
8. Place on a serving platter and garnish with cilantro.