Imagined by our wildly creative blend/recipe developer, Alyse Baca, this recipe is inspired by two classic cakes, creating a fusion of Lebanese and Southern baking that will blow your mind. Since it's peach season in the South, in my opinion, the most wonderful time of the year, Alyse decided to whip up a "Peach Upside-down Sfouf cake." While Upside-down cake is as American as apple pie, you may be wondering what a "sfouf" is. A Sfouf is a traditional Lebanese turmeric cake that's similar to cornbread in texture and meant to be served with coffee or tea. Inspired by this turmeric cake, we found that with its turmeric, ginger, and cinnamon, our Golden Milk blend is the perfect addition to this recipe, providing the traditional golden color of the Sfouf cake as well as warming spices to compliment the sweetness of the peaches.
Golden Milk Peach Upside-down Cake
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup semolina flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp Spicewalla Golden Milk
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
2 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp butter
Directions:1. Preheat oven to 350*F
2. Generously oil a 9-inch round cake pan and arrange peach slices in the bottom of the pan.
Make the batter:3. In a large mixing bowl, combine all-purpose flour, semolina flour, baking powder, Spicewalla Golden Milk and salt. Stir to combine and set aside.
4. In a small mixing bowl, combine sugar, oil and almond milk. Whisk together to combine.
5. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add half of the wet ingredients and mix thoroughly.
6. Stir in the other half of the wet ingredients until you have a smooth, glossy batter.
Make the syrup:
7. In a small saucepan, bring honey, brown sugar and butter to a simmer.
8. Remove from heat and immediately pour over the peaches in the cake pan.
9. Pour cake batter over the peaches and syrup, use a spatula to level out the top of the batter.
10. Bake for 35-40 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
11. Cool for 30 minutes then carefully run a paring knife or offset spatula around the pan to release the sides.
12. Cover the top of the cake pan with an overturned plate and carefully flip them both over, holding them tightly together.
13. Gently remove the cake pan by lifting it slowly and straight upward.
14. Serve warm with coffee, tea, or a cup of Golden Milk!
This delicious cake recipe brought you by the immensely talented, Alyse Baca